By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Howe

Here is a list of all the postings John Howe has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Donating Stamps to Charity Shops
27/10/2017 18:29:28

Hello Gillian, I regularly donate stamps to the local Oxfam shop or to Ty Hafan (a child health charity) I also send stamps to Stamp Active Network for their work encouraging stamp collecting in schools.

Thread: Aeroplanes on Stamps
28/06/2017 13:09:16

Rhodesia one shilling and three pence stamp showing a Central African Airways Douglas DC2.

Thread: What do you collect?
06/03/2017 15:40:17

Keith what you describe is familiar to me - stockbooks galore, boxes and lose stamps abound. Now trying to scan and catalogue them all, even to mount them.

I have various collecting interests (which does not bode well for a clearance sale): flags, aircraft and all things aviation, railways, lighthouses, Thailand, Laos and Japan. Almost given up on GB these days. But still belong to WOPA and have just placed an order for 50 quids worth of UN stamps, so the bug is still biting.

I do make a little on the side by writing in trade and business mags about stamps depicting their business like aircraft for inflight mags, airports for magazines concerned with all aspects of airport operations, etc.

Good luck with your new sales venture.

Thread: Ancient Britain
22/01/2017 22:02:43

Well said Alex, I rarely buy UK stamps these days, perhaps one a year, the designs are often uninspiring and to my mind often a juvenile failure. Take for example the cartoon animals set or the Mr Men set - why?

20/01/2017 13:42:34

I think that RM are "dissing" the hobby by issuing such high values in such large sets. I can cope with a monthly issue but the values should be 2nd, 1st class, Europe and worldwide rate and worldwide postcard, with a maximum of five stamps in each issue and the value of say under five GBP.

Why a worldwide postcard rate? I belong to Postcrossing which is an international postcard exchange group for which pictorial stamps would show British culture, scenery and achievements.

17/01/2017 15:33:21

Ancient Britain another expensive set from Royal Mail, I paid just a few pennies short of £10 for the set this morning.

While I appreciate the subject of the stamps and praise RM for its efforts to raise awareness of Britain’s ancient history the designs leave a lot to be desired. The line drawings do nothing to enhance the appeal of the stamps nor do they adequately help to explain the individual subject matter; both the £1.33 Drumbest horns and the £1.05 Star Carr headdress are baffling.

I have seen the Mold Cape myself and the stamp does it no justice whatsoever.

So my verdict a worthy subject spoilt by poor design and far too expensive.

Thread: Giving up collecting British stamps
15/10/2016 23:04:03

Hello Ken

I am sorry that I implied that RM should issue stamps with a North Korean theme, of course they should not. My punctuation was lacking, what I meant was that my collecting interests are lighthouses, transport (buses and trains) and N Korean.

I hope that makes things clearer.

12/10/2016 11:55:46

I am afraid that I have a rather blunderbuss attitude to collecting essentially buying what I like but I do have three areas of main interests; lighthouses, transport and North Korea.

Royal mail stamps have left me cold for about ten years now.

16/01/2016 13:21:48

I should think it was an onerous task Paul, but that begs the question who is the Royal Mail/Post Office there to serve the public or its own interests?

16/01/2016 08:30:46

Sorry Paul here is the UPU list of countriies selling International Reply Coupons

upu international reply coupon, _0001.jpg

Edited By John Howe on 16/01/2016 08:33:05

Edited By John Howe on 16/01/2016 08:35:09

15/01/2016 01:40:08

Here is a UPU list of countries where international reply coupons are available. I am afraid GB or the UK do not feature in this list.

Just another example of how Royal Mail does not really consider the needs of its customers.

Thread: Question about some of my stamps
17/12/2015 06:06:53

You should take them to be verified as genuine and get a valuation from a stamp expert valuer or aucioner.

Thread: Why do you collect? (University Project)
17/12/2015 06:02:05

1) I suppose I started collecting at about the age of 9 or 10 years.

2) It must have been the stamps of the US, I have family in Pasadena, Ca. I was fascinated in the stamps attached to envelopes and parcels. Then when Tony Ben came along that is really when I started collecting British stamps and from the mid 60s to about 2000 I collected British stamps.

3) I now collect North Korea, LIghthouses, tourist and views, Thailand, Rhodesian Federation, Southern Rhodesia, Rhodesia Zimbabwe.

4) It is more a sense of satisfaction than achievement,achievement comes when finding a longed-for item.

5) There is no investment no feelings but a strange feeling of attachment and even love of the stamps and collections themselves. There is a feeling of excitement at getting what you want, sometimes it almost seems like a hunt.

6) How many stamps do I have - wow what a question I have ten albums devoted to the topics I have mentioned plus boxes I have not yet itemised and mounted.

13/11/2015 00:45:32
Air letter forms are still available in Thailand. As are international reply coupons.
Thread: Star Wars - the stamps.
09/10/2015 05:13:45

The movie franchise has a very tenuous link to the United Kingdom; I know the films were made in the UK and a lot of the post-production work done here too. But the money, the director, the studio are American through and through.

Although many great British leading and character actors appeared in all of the releases, again the “big” names are American.

I can not see this set encouraging Star Wars fans who are not already collectors to take up the hobby. So has the Royal Mail issued this very large and expensive set to rake in the money?

There is an embarrassment of anniversaries in 2015 that the Royal Mail could have celebrated:

• 80 years of the driving test
  • 80 years since the death of T E Laurence,
  • 100 years of the foundation of the Women’s Institute,
  • 150 years of the Salvation Army
  • 40 years of Faulty Towers
  • 550 years since Scotch Whiskey was shown in records

The above is just a handful of worthy 100% British anniversaries that the Royal Mail could have remembered.

What would you add to the above list?

13/06/2015 12:49:30

Nick A, yes those stamps you linked to are a delight to look at and to own. I think you are right they evoke a desire to know more and perhaps to explore the subject and location. I also think that modern printing technology makes for less attractive stamps. I can't explain why that is but give me time and I may come up with an argument?

One of my collecting interests is flags on stamps.  I have a set of WWII US stamps with the vanquished countries flags displayed they are tastefully designed, expertly printed and although colours are limited to the flag colours which makes the images more poignant.

In comparison to the UN flags and coins set seems gaudy and brash.

Edited By John Howe on 13/06/2015 12:55:17

Thread: ITU Stamps
08/06/2015 12:22:48

Rhodesia 100th centenary of the ITU issue from 1965rhodesia itu centenary 1965.jpg

07/06/2015 05:11:03
Posted by Carmen on 06/06/2015 12:31:02:

Sorry, what does "NVI" mean? Thanks! Weights?

NVI is Non-value Indicator, what the Canadian post office call "Permanent" and the USPS calls "Forever".

On British stamps an NVI is shown by the numbers "1st" or "2nd" meaning first and second class post. It is also a means of disguising postal rate increases. Although Royal Mail gives notice and allows the public to buy a limited number of stamps at the old rate before the increase takes effect.

Thread: ITU Stamps
03/06/2015 10:39:33

Steven Ardron, it seems that Royal Mail are interested in making money rather than comemmorating special events.

Although I must be fare and say they are issuing WWI, Penny Black and 200th anniversary of Waterloo this year. Actually the Waterloo set is conservative by contemporary RM standards and look quite nice.

But they should have recognised the 150th anniversary of the ITU. I wonder if it will celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Universal Postal Union in ten years time? It makes a good job of continually ignoring the annual World Post Day on the 9th of October.

25/05/2015 16:25:15

Thailand's stamp commemorating 150 years of the ITU. At three baht it is less than two pence.thai 150 anniversary of the itu_0001.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Nordfrim April
Tony Lester
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Purves Philatelics
varisell stamps
Michael G Read
SANDAFAYRE
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers