By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Alex

Here is a list of all the postings Alex has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Machines and stamp packs
09/10/2017 17:46:16

Sorry to hear you've been under the weather.

That is a nice item you have won, good for you.

Al

Thread: Stockbook without interleaves
10/09/2017 08:03:25

I agree.

I also had one of these older stock books when I first started collecting stamps. I found that the perforations of the stamps caught so every time I opened the book some would be pulled out and I even had some that tore.

If you do want one, however, there are some still in production, cheaply made for children in the PRC.

Al

Thread: Canada 5c
31/08/2017 19:21:14

Ha ha, I see you beat me to it.

See, you're doing great. You don't need me at all.

Keep up the good work.......

31/08/2017 19:18:03

Julian

I think that it may be a perfin for the Canadian Bell Telephone company, hence BT.

Sorry, I don't visit the cemetery here very often these days but I have been busy elsewhere with my other interests. But I'll pop in now and again to make sure you're looked after.

Al

Thread: Minxy Carmen Country Canada
19/08/2017 11:09:09

Hmmmm, the upgraded 'plane stamps were the first thing I noticed! I have loads of these types of postal upgrades from places like new Zealand to Rhodesia. Loved them as a kid, still do.

Thread: Unusual Ceylon Bistre Ed VII 5c.
19/08/2017 11:06:15

What is the paper like?

It appears to be cut out of a Ceylon postal stationery post card or such like. They had a range of this design In various postal rates, including this 5c one.

Al

Thread: Minxy Carmen Country Canada
18/08/2017 19:23:30

Julian

The perforations are common for North American (USA and Canada) stamps and are called Line Perforations. There is, as can be seen in your examples, little co-ordination at the corners where the lines meet.

The cancellations were made by what were once termed Cork Cancellers, though I've no idea what you folk here would call them. Though termed cork cancellers, they were often made out of wood, metal or hard rubber, as well as cork. That is the name in my treasured old The Stamp Collector's Encyclopaedia and that is what I still call 'em.

Al

Thread: Great rarity
29/07/2017 18:25:03

You're so right, Trevor.

It was actually a pleasant surprise to see the stamp on my mail. And it is a good design, too.

I felt like a kid again soaking the stamp off the paper and drying it before putting it into an album.

How can children experience this joyful little activity if they, or their parents, never see a real, non Machin, stamp on their mail. They have no chance of getting the 'stamp bug'.

29/07/2017 17:49:00

A rare event for me today, indeed.

I actually received a letter with a fairly recent commemorative stamp on it. A normal letter, not from a stamp dealer or such like. WOW, my first one of the year, and its only the 29th of July! And, as an added bonus, it has a real cancellation on it rather than the usual pen scribble. I'm so blessed...........!

dsc04648.jpg

Edited By Alex on 29/07/2017 17:54:38

Thread: WORLDWIDE 40G
21/07/2017 08:27:43

I used to buy stamps every month from an approvals guy who supplied an SASE (how many modern folk even remember that abbreviation?) covered in a variety of stamps to cover the registered fee. And he wrote the value on the envelope too.

Every month, for about four or five years, held the same old frustration and stress.

First the huffing and puffing about the stamps as the counter staff didn't recognise them! And these were some fairly recent stamps from the mid 1990s we're talking about (though, of course, many looked like a child's label by then) and no NVIs as far as I recall.

Then came the monthly ritual of taking out the calculator from under the counter and adding up all the values, one stamp at a time. Of course, for added spice, the staff would make a mistake now and again and with a gloating smile they would state "you're underpaid or overpaid!". Well, I'd point out the written value at the top of the envelope and with another, bigger, huff they would start again, getting the correct value second time round.

With that they would cancel the stamps, punching down hard on them as they, I suppose, wanted to punch me hard on the nose!

I was a pain in the a** for them, they were complete dumb a**** to me!

Off course the ordeal wasn't finished yet as I still had to walk the 'walk of shame' past the hundred people behind me waiting in the line, each of them hating ME for holding them all up!

Oh, the joy of stamp collecting.....

Edited By Alex on 21/07/2017 08:31:28

Thread: Thermochromic Stamp USA
11/07/2017 19:28:52

There are a few out there, mostly of recent issue.

My favorites are the thermo - aromatic stamps though. There is one that smells of coffee and I have some German stamps with strawberries printed on them - you gently rub the image with your finger and the stamps gives off a strawberry like aroma (relevant to the tennis season we're in!).

Thread: Mystery stamp from Minxy Carmen :-)
10/07/2017 16:44:26

No mystery.

This is a Japanese Government of the Philippines stamps, one of a pair issued in 1943

Check Philippines catalog.

Note the Japanese national flag (under the cancel).

Scott numbers N26 & N27 / SG J29 & J30.

Al

Edited By Alex on 10/07/2017 16:50:02

10/07/2017 15:36:42

Carmen

It is a Japanese stamp from their occupation of the Philippines and it was issued on the first anniversary of the occupation (issued 7th May, Showa 18 (1943) as shown on the stamp).

Al

Edited By Alex on 10/07/2017 15:42:53

Thread: Unknown stamps - Boss Level Challenge !
08/07/2017 18:43:26

All I can offer is:

The two stamps in Cyrillic script are 1920 White Russian issues (Russian Revolution period).

The Japanese stamps have chrysanthemums on them.

The other oriental stamps stem from The People's Republic of China.

I'd be interested to hear more about the two Ottoman Empire (Turkey) stamps. I think they may be Turkish occupation stamps from the late 19th century.

(Sorry, don't have the relevant SG to be of help with proper IDs / SG numbers)

Alex

Edited By Alex on 08/07/2017 18:51:28

Thread: Any information on this unknown stamp ?
05/07/2017 19:21:38

Ah, I stand corrected. You live 'n learn here, for sure.

Still worth keeping as it is.

Thread: Aeroplanes on Stamps
05/07/2017 19:19:56

Interesting sheets but a bit un-PC!!

I don't recall ever seeing stewardesses dressed like that on my travels. Nor would, I think, Albert Einstein be too impressed having to share a sheet with swastikas! Maybe something to do with that Haitian voodoo magic?

I wonder if the stamp designers were inspired by old Airfix or Revell model catalogues?

05/07/2017 09:06:59

I really like these stamps, Julian. The miniature sheets are nice though I'm not sure why there is a 'tribal' border around the planes and, of course, the national flag is wrong for the time period depicted.

Yes, the Germans did captured a B-17 early on and used it for training purposes.

Thread: Any information on this unknown stamp ?
05/07/2017 08:52:43

Hi

This isn't a postage stamp but a label / Cinderella 'stamp'.

It stems from the Soviet Union (late 50s / early 60s) and quotes N.S. Khrushchev.

I very much doubt that SG would list it.

Al

Thread: Aeroplanes on Stamps
28/06/2017 19:24:52

Thanks!

Here is a Lancaster bomber for you......

Lancaster

28/06/2017 14:41:13

Nice stamp.

Here is a West Berlin issue from 1979 depicting another DC-3.

Berlin 1979

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Nordfrim April
SANDAFAYRE
varisell stamps
Michael G Read
Purves Philatelics
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Tony Lester
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers