By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Julian

Here is a list of all the postings Julian has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Can rebacked stamps be un-rebacked?
10/10/2017 19:26:46

Hi Bob I do not quite see why you would want to take it to its original state if the stamp has been authenticated as such re-backed?

i would have thought the glue used for re-backing would seep into the other paper as well. Are you trying to find the Watermark or something??

Each to their own though, I have never heard of this until reading this.

regards Julian

Thread: Machines and stamp packs
10/10/2017 18:59:03

Hi Alex thanks for thoughts I may even be emigrating myself!!!!!

Thread: Found my collection after 45 years
07/10/2017 17:45:25

My brother was into this when I was a kid and above his bed would be all these cards, it was my fathers line of work Electronics & Radio. He worked through most of the companies ending up in Cable & Wireless. I am pretty sure this is where his wheeling and dealing of his own company came in as well.

Of course CB came in and it pretty much destroyed all this, which is where my father always talked about cell phones way before they came about. Geez I would hate to think what he would be like with modern cell phones!!!!

Thread: Newbie with inherited collection
07/10/2017 17:35:13

Hi Robert sorry for late delay on my part but Trevor has pretty much covered it anyway.

Some people do seem to prefer blocks especially with identification numbers and letting and so forth on the borders, numbers obviously giving printing sheet information.

Anything else unless and specific standing out on them does not seem to create a interest, I have plenty of block pre decimals and they do not seem to stir bidding. It probably as with any thing stamps boils down to the individual but maybe if you was selling the whole collection it MAY incur interest being of blocks as it would indicate a source issue from RM as such.

I do however believe as with most stamp issues it is actually the stamp itself condition be it in block or not.

I see you have said Unused implying more value. Stanley Gibbons Cats give both used and unused values which maybe worth you seeing for yourself as a guide. These values though are a bone of contention because SG may think they are worth that but you try selling them for these figures??? I use SG cat values for insurance purposes guide only and I much prefer Ebay or auction sites as a guide to real value but even this is flawed in answer to the question of value. Watching to see bidding is an indication but sellers who list with Buy It Now means nothing.

A collection should always see more in value I believe simply because of quantity.

The older the stamps the more issues come into play as regard value and it just gets more complicated.

Good luck

Julian

Thread: Octagonal stamps
07/10/2017 16:42:28

Nice stamp I have to say and I wonder if the perf four corners intact makes the stamp worth more? I bet there were some error perfing of these, maybe a theme for RM to do a shape collectors pack, although I'm pretty sure around the globe shapes have been covered one way or another, I can remember triangles from I think Tanzania with animals on I believe and I am sure there are round stamps and of course with modern stamps you get all wonderful shaped stamps, recently with fruit and dinosaurs being bend and peel around the actual shape.

Thread: stamp magazine article
07/10/2017 16:27:30

Geez I am glad to say I was not even born then, queuing up behind my brothers I'm afraid. 1957 eh did not think it was that old.

Love the 2nd landscape stamp with the 3 legged / finned rocket, takes me back some years again, cant think of the super hero name, i can remember the rocket going up a piece of string though lol lol.

Thread: The Machin thread
07/10/2017 16:04:23

Hi again Stephen wow not sure at all with this stamp I see what your saying but it would I think depend upon how this appears with the naked eye because as I expand this picture myself it is very hard to say what that line is? The fact it is very fine I'm again not so sure you can call it a flaw and I think a flaw should stand out but we see stamps coming through here with the same claims. If I were you on this one I would not be as keen to claim it however still worth keeping just in case. IN my defense I'm going to say with this stamp you need it in front of you where as the other one is clear to see. I have become very wary of sellotape lifting and scratching however both yours indicate otherwise sellotape usually is around the edge of a stamp and not dead center but scratching?

There are so many reasons but of course on modern stamps does this type of interference make a stamp valuable to the degree of doing it?!! I suggest not. Would you buy a stamp that is not known with flaw error at a marked up price? I think this comes back to what you find yourself interesting, personally I would never throw it away. I do not collect error stamps for value but I do keep them for the fact it is one of a kind maybe. You know that old feeling "I got something no one else has"

But you got better eyesight than me with this stamp that's for sure.

Julian

Thread: The Machin thread
07/10/2017 15:46:24

Hi Stephen,

Its definitely a flaw you say and not a scratch as the post cancel runs with it is all I wonder??

Whilst I say that the fact it only runs across the neck does suggest a misprint. I have not seen this anywhere but I have little knowledge on Machines as was really only introduced to them from this site, I never took any notice of them until then which was only a few months back so I cannot say. I did take an interest in faults but its not well informed, so I cannot be of much help other than look at the stamp closely to make out if a scratch otherwise well worth keeping if a flaw.

These are the stamps I keep if received, just in case???

Julian

Thread: Ladybird books
07/10/2017 15:37:08

Wow when I saw this it threw me back to my primary school days, I can remember reading these books, taking them home and having mum read them with you. I think it also inspired my mum to buy me for Christmas once a HUGE picture Bible. I read that twice and had many questions my mum could not answer ha ha ha and it is ironic that I have indeed not so long ago asked vicars and religious people the same questions!!!!

I love the "oh well its God's plan" or "this is how it is supposed to be". I have found the answers out for myself since 2008 but that is not about stamps lol lol.

I wonder how many proffessional people will find things wrong with the content in these books and supposedly hidden meanings blah blah, you know like Andy Pandy and Magic Roundabout.....

However these were the days of innocence!!!!

Thread: Machines and stamp packs
07/10/2017 15:18:08

Hi all sorry not been in here but am suffering with my health, NOT EVEN Ebay!!!

I got my post this morning and was pleasently surprised to see I won another comp and I really chuffed with this set of the Machin.

Now if Stamp packs could be like this I would collect them.

machin.jpg

machin 1.jpg

Again I have no reasoning why I like these but its probably the styles even though I have most in singles. I totally love the £1 gold stamp as this takes me back to my mistake in paying way over the odds for the Diana ones which I have many. (Staffa)

I also admire the 6 x old stamp designs, I do have an assortment of previous issues but not full sets unfortunately.

My heart goes out to the posties and their strike and I do understand their frustration with RM raiding and abusing Pension or rights. I said this a long time ago when they did this with a lot of pensions and raided the pots to leave the people with little in the pot. It is a crime without doubt but that was Conservatives for you.. Makes you laugh when they make commercials for pensions blah blah bah just for companies to raid them. The world is surely sick and immoral.

But well done RM a nice collectors pack indeed, just don't say you want them back.........................

Edited By Julian on 07/10/2017 15:20:44

Thread: Hoping for Info/Advice
06/09/2017 18:44:02

Hi Wraf,

Westminster Abbey was the funeral church place so that's odd?

You see these on Ebay every now and again but I cannot ever think of hearing about the St Pauls being replaced with Westminster Abbey?

The problem as to value is just how many of these are in circulation if it is an error, Westminster Abbey would be where they normally would have got wed so it maybe was a pre circular? If that is the case and not many were printed it could be worth a few Bob!

I would email Stanley Gibbons and ask them but I would imagine there will be many of these around, its not the sort of thing to be a one off, UNLESS it was a proof to publication.

That's where I would go anyway with that one.

Sorry cannot be of more help but it was not the sort of thing I collected.

Julian

Thread: GB Error
06/09/2017 18:20:32

Hi Alistair sorry for taking so long to get back to you but I have been through my Pierrons links and indeed some others and I have not been able to find this particular error, so it may well be a one off error but I am sure someone else made a post in here about the same type stamp and that the word print was off shift and it was then that searching the net i saved these Pierrons links for this particular issue of stamps. So I'm either mistaken on your particular error and thinking of a different error series or I have seen it elsewhere on auction sites.

So I cannot help on this occasion my friend, sorry.

Julian

04/09/2017 18:01:35

Hi Alistair,

There were a number faults with these stamps and I am sure has been brought up before. I cant remember off hand but if you search for faults with this stamp I'm sure you'll find the list. The only reason I remember is the on some of these the wording slants and sometimes not even at all appears.

If you don't have any success finding it, make a post and I will look through my list of sites on errors but I'm sure you will.

Thread: Canada 5c
31/08/2017 23:17:53

Hii Alex,

Yeah its been slow to say the least.

Glad your having fun elsewhere though. Paul was on a flight so I took the question to the horses mouth. Did not even think it could be a B. Dont know where Minxy Carmen has gone but I think she may have found other interests ha ha ha .

31/08/2017 19:14:51

Just an update Paul, I was way off as per usual and I did go one the Canadian perfin site its actually BT for the Bell Telephone Co Montreal, so the black black ink mark is probably a Montreal hand stamp of some sort.

No doubt its not worth much but an interesting find with the lot I brought.

31/08/2017 16:48:43

Hi Paul thanks for the reply I was getting lonely in here making posts without reply.

I just read a article by a Canadian stamp collector and he said the ohms is common but he says there are 12 varieties which are scarce and definitely on mint stamps. He says that forgeries are common but I would imagine he refers to mint stamps this has been cancelled so it cant be fake I don't think. He also states these were generally used in blocks to make up values for other post rates?

This is 5c purple - Thomas D'Arcy McGee 1927/8 and he says this coincides with the airmail rate at the time of issue and this particular stamp had a short run. I have emailed him but it did not have the platform to add pictures so he will probably ask. I just received this stamp today and did not even know it was a perfin so was just wondering about it. I have to say the blurred print on the front I believe not to be part of the cancel I think its just some form maybe of company print it really is hard to make out but it does look like Montreal North and I have tried searching for it and found nothing.

I also found a Canadian perfin site and nothing there either!

31/08/2017 14:44:58

Just done a bit of searching on the net and this maybe a 4 letter perfin rather than 2.

Looking from the back of the stamp most certainly anyway it would appear the bottom part of what I thought was an S is actually a D and the top bit would then be a C.

With my luck this will be a forgery as from what I gather these are scarce to come by. I certainly at the moment cannot find anything and with this being a poor perfin mark, its hard to tell what it should be!

I also note the cancel mark seems to have Montreal IF it is indeed a cancel and below it could be North?  The stamp does look cancelled around it.

Any info guys would be a help, thanks.

Edited By Julian on 31/08/2017 15:11:50

31/08/2017 14:15:54

Anyone have a clue what this perfin means on a Canada 5c stamp please?

canada 5c.jpg

canada 5c st.jpg

I would imagine its supposed to be ST

Thread: 1st September - World Letter Writing Day
31/08/2017 14:10:56

Give me your address and I might write to yousmiley Geez I have not wrote a letter for years

Thread: 1908 Centenary 1c
23/08/2017 01:09:33

After re reading up on these stamps and the "Re Entry" issue I have found on one of the 1c stamps I posted on another subject I have WHAT?

The stamps below on the top left and in that stamp on the top right 1 numeral we can clearly see a white blob?

1908 thumb cancels 1c.jpg

below is a close up

1908 1c blob.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Nordfrim April
STAMPS OF THE BRITISH ARABIA 2
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Purves Philatelics
Michael G Read
Glasgow Stamp Shop
SANDAFAYRE
Tony Lester
varisell stamps
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values