By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Gillian Hutchinson

Here is a list of all the postings Gillian Hutchinson has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Advice About Stamp Mounts
17/03/2017 19:39:01

Julian, I'm so glad you're not giving up on the forum.

Gillian

08/03/2017 23:24:09

Three questions, Julian.

You say you're coming to and end with stamps. Does this mean you're leaving the forum? That would be a shame as I'm sure any advice you can give to any of us still on the stamp collecting journey would be helpful.

Secondly, forgive my ignorance, but what is the 'C' category? I read your other post about illegal stamps. That must have been disheartening, but it's probably best just to move on from that.

Thirdly, wouldn't postcard collecting also take up space? I have collected postcards over the years, but haven't put any in envelopes for a few years. Years ago I found an old scrap book, which I covered with green foil paper and cut out the words Post Card from a postcard and stuck them on the front of the album, then put any cards I received into the album. In more recent years my husband bought a proper postcard album and I put some post cards into that. I like doing genealogical research and have found some very useful information from old postcards.

Gillian

24/02/2017 19:31:27

Carmen, people can be so unpleasant, can't they?

Julian, I heard that idea before, about the talcum powder. I did try it at the time and it appeared to work wonderfully, but I haven't come across any stamps recently that kept their stickiness even after soaking. I did also hear it wasn't such a good idea to use talcum powder.

Gillian

14/02/2017 12:01:49

Thanks for the helpful replies. My stamps are mostly commemorative and all different shapes and sizes. I don't know if you can put different shapes and sizes in one strip of mounts, but I have a lot of stamps, which I just want to get displayed in albums and which I have no intention of selling. I also don't have the time to work with stamp mounts, but was thinking of using a stock album for the new, un-franked stamps and the self-adhesive ones that have a sticky residue even after soaking.

Thanks for your tip about Ziploc bags, Carmen. I am already doing that, having learned my lesson about damp hinges. Just wondering, do you often use picture corners or just for sheets of stamps? I am with you on the looking for something everywhere except in the place which should have been obvious. I wouldn't have thought to look there either as I am not that organized so have often been surprised to find I've put something where I should have put it.

By the way, this is the most active stamp forum I know of. I have joined several on Yahoo, but they mostly post about stamps they have for sale or exchange and there is zilch conversation.

Thanks,

Gillian

Thread: Donating Stamps to Charity Shops
18/01/2017 10:03:26

Yes, Dauwalders do that. I've had some quite pretty stamps from them.

I haven't got round to sorting my stamps for bringing in to the charity shop, but must do it soon as the little tub where I keep my swaps is getting full.

Gillian

Thread: More Hinges Ruined
02/01/2017 11:48:51

I work on my stamps in my bedroom - I alternate the activity with reading. It's damp in there and there were some hinges in a paper bag, which consequently got glued together with no possibility of peeling them apart. It looks like Ziploc bags are the solution for hinges in damp bedrooms. The hinges I had in an envelope in the kitchen were fine.

I haven't heard of Damp Chek and am among the underprivileged when it comes to 'stamp shelves'.

Gillian

17/12/2016 21:29:28

I might put them into small ziplock bags and suggest we sell them at 20p per bag or 50p for 4 and see how it goes. If they don't sell, too bad. I'll send them to a friend who collects stamps.

Gillian

Ps What about your bike?

30/11/2016 15:15:24

The stamp hinges I bought recently got ruined, but I think I am to blame myself this time as they were in the bedroom and probably stuck together as a result.

Note to self - be careful where and how you store stamp hinges!

Gillian

30/11/2016 15:15:23

The stamp hinges I bought recently got ruined, but I think I am to blame myself this time as they were in the bedroom and probably stuck together as a result.

Note to self - be careful where and how you store stamp hinges!

Gillian

Thread: Major Disappointment
11/11/2016 15:54:38

Well, my faith has been restored in Stanley Gibbons and I am very happy with the service I have received from Dauwalders. I rang up the latter and, having expected to hear a list of options to press, I was pleasantly surprised to be answered immediately by a pleasant lady, who apologised when I told her about the hinges, and then said that replacements would be sent to me. Sure enough, the replacement hinges arrived just a couple of days later and are much better than the other ones I received.

Now to catch up with putting my stamps in albums.

Gillian

26/10/2016 22:59:37

I bought 2 packets of Stanley Gibbons stamp hinges online and have been majorly disappointed by them. The hinges are all stuck together in one mass and impossible to separate apart from only a few.

Is there a better stamp hinge than what Stanley Gibbons produces? I plan to contact Dauwalders, which is where the hinges came from.

Gillian

Thread: Advice About Stamp Mounts
14/10/2016 19:06:01

Hi Julian,

I bought Stanley Gibbons stamp hinges enline. Some are stuck together and difficult to separate, which is rather disappointing. I'm using those for used stamps and hope to order stamp mounts for unused stamps and used stamps which have a sticky residue left on them. I just don"t know what size or how many to get.

Would appreciate any advice on this matter.

Thanks,

Gillian

28/09/2016 18:47:55

I have run out of stamp hinges and am hoping to buy some more, as well as some stamp mounts. I was thinking of buying Stanley Gibbons hinges - unless someone advises against it - but I have no idea what kind of mounts to buy or how they work.

Advice please.

Gillian

28/09/2016 18:38:10

Julian, we don't have a regular buyer of stamps, but someone came in one day and asked if we had any stamps for sale. I don't really know the value of any stamps and don't have time to check them.

I'll just speak about it to the manageress and/or the assistant manageress and see what they feel about it, but they ask my opinion.

Gillian

Thread: Valid postage within UK
10/09/2016 14:20:36

Hi Julian,

I reckon you're correct, because in a stamp album there are separate pages for Great Britain, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands, although I do think the Great Britain page should be entitled the United Kingdom as Great Britain only includes England, Scotland and Wales and Northern Ireland is added on to that to make it all the United Kingdom.

Wickipaedia also confirms that Isle of Man stamps are not valid in the UK, but you might want to verify that.

Gillian

Thread: Removal of Gum From Stamps.
01/09/2016 14:43:21

Sue, I am in Northern Ireland, in a rural location, so would have similar issues to you when it comes to visiting a physical shop for anything, as we have only one car here and it is not always available, even if I did want to go all the way to the city and pay ghastly car parking charges. On the other hand, funds are limited so I need to be careful what I spend, online or otherwise. Thanks also for the tip about how to tell a gummed stamp from a self-adhesive.

Cbi, that's a good idea about the heptane. Some kind of thinner sounds good. I found a youtube video about using heptane to remove a self-adhesive stamp from the paper it is on. The person doing the video did say that self-adhesive stamps are usually of low value to collectors, so I'm not going to worry too much about it getting right with these particular stamps.

I also don't have a lot of time to spend on working with my stamps and am content just to get them off their envelopes if possible and getting them into albums, but I might consider just doing a quick check of each to see if it's self-adhesive or gummed. If it's self-adhesive, I'll put it to one side and if gummed, commit it to the hot water treatment.

Gillian

Thread: Post here first! (Sandbox)
16/08/2016 13:43:21

You're welcome, Constance. I hope you are still enjoying the hobby. Did you get your tweezers?

One more question - what time of day do you like to work on your stamps? It may sound strange but I work on mine in bed - not every night, just some, other nights I read.

Gillian

01/08/2016 23:53:06

A lady came into the charity shop where I volunteer and asked if we had any stamps for sale. We didn't have any at the time, but I was wondering if it would be worthwhile donating any swaps I have to the shop. If so, how would we work out a price or would we just put them into small packs and charge a small amount for each? I don't know if they would sell, but I wondered how much we should be offering them at.

Thanks for any advice!

Gillian

Thread: Post here first! (Sandbox)
23/07/2016 20:37:11

Hi Constance,

Welcome to the hobby and to the forum! I hope you enjoy both and find the forum helpful.

Can I ask, what attracted you to the hobby? When I first started collecting as a child it was to enable me to earn my Collectors badge in the Brownies. More recently, my husband was receiving cards from fellow radio hams all over the world to confirm radio contacts and the cards came in envelopes, which often had rather nice stamps on them and I thought it would be rather nice to start collecting stamps again.

Like you, I just had an ordinary album to begin with, but have had to buy a couple more as some of the countries' pages fill up quicker than others, but I came across my son's loose leaf album, which he kept as a child, and am planning to make use of that.

Best wishes,

Gillian

Edited By Gillian Hutchinson on 23/07/2016 20:40:39

Thread: Removal of Gum From Stamps.
13/07/2016 09:57:46

Thanks for all the hints, tips and advice.

Unfortunately I don't know a stamp is self adhesive until I try to remove it from its envelope by the usual method, but I could use the empty stamp book idea with the stamps which survive this method but still retain their stickiness.

Sue, where do you purchase your DAVO supplement sheets?

Thanks,

Gillian

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Nordfrim 7
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Michael G Read
Tony Lester
varisell stamps
SANDAFAYRE
Purves Philatelics
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers