By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Trevor Bishop 1

Here is a list of all the postings Trevor Bishop 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: German stamps query
21/02/2018 01:47:45

Hi

That's great thanks ... very interesting .

Sideways pictures , the original picture I take is vertical however when added to my photo album it turns my images sideways I'm not sure why . I tried taking them sideways & then some turn out upright & some upside down .

A quirk of the system ? I use an iPhone to take them which might be the reason.

Trev

20/02/2018 20:44:14

Hi again ,

Does anyone know if this is a stamp ? It has a value "3" but the expedition suggests a cinderella stamp. Does someone know please ?

Thanks

Trev

img_3864.jpg

Thread: Trev Bishop
16/02/2018 16:26:32

Thanks for the Link Alex .

I really like the engravings of some of their stamps and some of FDC envelopes have some lovely designs - I'll try & put some photos on the forum . Czech stamps used to be really cheap almost worthless and so I was able to buy some bulk auction lots , however I've recently noticed ( on eBay) that prices are creeping up especially the earlier items . Also SG's prices have gone up significantly .

I just remembered Pofis was the Czech catalogue ( in Czech ) but I'm not sure how recent is the newest edition .

The newly formed Czech Republic stamps seem difficult to find in quantity & certainly quite a bit more expensive than the old Czechoslovakia .

Anyway plenty to keep me busy .

Trev

16/02/2018 09:33:43

Sorry can some one change the Topic title to something appropriate please like "Michel catalogues for Czechoslovakia .

Thanks

16/02/2018 09:20:03

Hi ,

I am looking for a good stamp catalogue for Czechoslovakia and wondering if anyone can recommend one .

I recently bought the NEW 2017 SG one which now doesn't include Poland & is only £1 cheaper than the previous one I bought - a nice little earner , but why leave out Poland and have a skinny catalogue for £28 . Apart from that it isn't much different from the previous one . Would Michel have more detail ? I expect there's a Czech one but although I could manage German at a pinch ,Czech would be  out of the question & sourcing one might be tricky . And without buying one it's hard to know what they're like .

Anyone got one ?

Trev

Edited By Trevor Bishop 1 on 16/02/2018 09:21:11

Thread: Dumb Cancellation
15/02/2018 20:20:53

Thanks Alex ,

It's nice to see some nice stamps with a Cancel . I saw one of those last year on a 2nd class blue & didn't know what It was and guessed it probably was a postman pocket Cancel . Usually the biro & NO Cancel are still more frequent . This year I had two packets with NO Cancel & one covered in lovely booklet panes & biro'd over each stamp - I nearly cried .

I'll keep track of the next few items and see if more if these dumb cancels are being used .

Trev

14/02/2018 19:48:29

Hi Alex ,

Thanks for that .

I see I think the confusion was that along the base of the stamp the wavy lines looked more like T 64 SG 352 etc where some stamps have "value omitted, "so I was thinking the 2md was actually an overprint indicated by the brackets (63) but I see now that with second colour of the 2md would mean the base of the stamps of T62 would have wavy lines .

Thanks again

Trev

14/02/2018 17:32:32

img_3858.jpgHi again

I need some help with another German stamp using SG numbers .

It appears this is T64 1923 with the value omitted . The overprint looks to be O63 in green , however I just can't place it in the catalogue & hence in my printed pages .

Can any one help please .

Thanks

Trev

Thread: Perfin - how does it affect the value of the stamp
02/02/2018 15:58:50

Hi Paul ,

I've just tried the fluorescent paper trick - putting them in Hagner pages with a strip behind the stamp - excellent idea.

I was very impressed , now I need to find how to write a brief note about the company who issues them .

All good fun .

Thanks

Trev

01/02/2018 20:10:18

Hi Billy ,

Thanks , I was just wondering as there WERE 3 lovely QV 10/- stamps for sale ( now snapped up by someone else ) for £30 each and I just wanted to be sure they weren't valued as fairly worthless if I ever had to sell them . Well clearly someone else thought they were worth it & so my question has been answered . I did read somewhere that someone had estimated the value as 10/% of CV .

I'll keep a look out for more & hopefully add them to my collection .

I have 100's or 1000's of perfins & having looked at the perfin website it is really difficult to value them , as it's what someone will pay for them . It also seems people prefer them on original covers showing the company for which they were made . Always good to know these things .

I've been trying to think of a way to display perfins , but upto now my ideas wander between different ideas . One day I'll get around to it .

Trev

30/01/2018 21:00:09

Hi ,

I am a collector of perfins in a small way & would also like to increase my QV GB collection some of which are way out of my price range and I have recently seen that some the HV QV stamps with perfins are at more reasonable price .

I was just wondering what perfins do to the value of a stamp ( presumably a defective/ damaged stamp ?)

Regards

Trev

17/01/2018 22:36:11

Hi Alex ,

Thanks for the info - I was thinking that because it was a new value that it would've been printed using the new plate , did they print the 4m with both plates ? Is it possible for it to have no watermark ?

And I see some of the other values e.g. 50,75,80pf are all rarer in plate 1 , So why not the 4M ? SG says that plate 1 was used for coil stamps , it seems odd that a 4M would be on a coil .( Perfins , yes , even the few I collected of GB & getting the Tomkins list showed how many GB have - interesting but a huge topic .  .

Well thanks again , I'll keep looking & learning

Trev

17/01/2018 13:12:52

img_3771.jpgHi ,

Please can anyone help with this stamp .

Firstly it seems to have no watermark - I've tried a detector & solvent and usually they are fairly easy to see it seems strange it's not visible . Secondly it appear to be type 1 i.e. Printed in two stages , frame & centre separately . However looking at the SG CAT there appears to be SG 152 of which I have several . I wonder if the date & perfin may help ? Or is it a forgery ?

Thanks

Trev

Thread: game of thrones
17/01/2018 11:03:24

...... But on the plus side it's good to see a set of 1st class stamps , so we have some chance of receiving one on a Postal item - . Perhaps I'll keep a collection of "stamps received in the post 2018" - one page should be enough .

Could be an interesting exhibit ?

Trev

17/01/2018 10:52:58

Hi Julian , I hope you're feeling much better 😀Now .

Glad to see you're back , I missed your ramblings . Re Game of thrones : I had to wonder WHY the PO brought out a set for game of thrones, as the subject had very little interested to many people . But , call me cynical I was thinking that by bringing SO many sets , Post & go (good for income ) booklets & the many varieties of machins to try & rake in more income & probably put off stamp collectors they then came up with a cunning plan to tap more money from other non collectors like Star Wars, Dr Who ,lord if the rings & a like who will want to buy anything related to their obsession , sorry hobby .

Oh well if that's what they want to do - sadly I think they're slowly killing off modern stamp collecting in the UK , time will tell .

Trev

Thread: Wildings queries
02/01/2018 08:14:42

Hiya ,

Happy new year to all !

I'm have come across several different 2d brown wildings with various overprints e.g. Gas boards , electricity boards , corporations etc . I presume these do a similar job that perfins do in stopping employees using them for their own Postal uses.

I'm wondering is there a finite number of different ones & do many people collect them ? ( of course someone will collect them , there always is ) ?

Any info would be useful

Trev

Thread: Help with identification of Chilean Tax Stamp
01/01/2018 09:08:29

Hi ,

Well looking at these stamps without any knowledge of this set I would say the stamp's white border perf area on the left looks darker & perhaps kept in a bit so clean environment , also I wonder whether the red ink oxidises in less clean environment to a brown colour over time ? Whilst the stamp on the right is much brighter & fresh appearance . Have you got an original 2c stamp to compare the type of " brown "colour it is .

Interesting though - worth looking into.

Trev

Thread: Which engravers / engraved stamps do you most admire?
26/12/2017 11:26:51

Hi Adrian , thanks , nice stamps .

I'd like to get some of the previous mentioned Eagle stamps , were they issued in Sweden ? I can't seem to locate them to buy some .

Trev

Thread: Perfin ID please . Anyone still out there ?
08/12/2017 19:36:14

Hi Paul ,

Alas I feel you are right , what happened to Julian ? I enjoyed reading his witterings .

I don't have the stamp close by at the moment but all the EDVII stamps I acquired in one lot were from the Preston , Manchester areas tho some of the other perfins came FROM other REGIONS & were posted to Preston area. I ID'd a few JTS , JAS, M&K,JHM ,RT/&S ,L&S /Ld

There are no DK's at all . Has there been an updated Tomkins list since 2003 or is it ongoing each year ?

Regards

Trev

Edited By Trevor Bishop 1 on 08/12/2017 19:49:33

08/12/2017 11:30:25

Hi there ,

I'm wondering if anyone can ID a perfin please on a EDVII stamp . A giant DK hole count 12,12- I can't find it in the Tomkins directory 2004 .

I found an excellent website called Grace's which list many old industrial companies - fascinating .

Thanks

Trev

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Nordfrim April
Guernsey post November
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Purves Philatelics
Glasgow Stamp Shop
varisell stamps
Tony Lester
SANDAFAYRE
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    Stamp Magazine and receive a FREE gift