By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Vera

Here is a list of all the postings Vera has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Collecting Birds on Stamps
01/02/2013 11:57:34

Apopogies Julia for giving you extra work ..this time I'm having a prob regulating the font sizes ..

Just noticed on this 2010 UAE set of hexagonal stamps of sea birds, two out of the six stamps are incorrectly named...factual errors...the 2AED stamp labelled Grey Heron should be Little Egret (Egretta garzetta) and 1AED stamp which looks like a Black headed gull is really a Little Gull (Larus minutus). Other birds are Socotra Cormorant, Crab plover , Caspian Gull and Sooty Gull

uae. birds hexset.jpg

01/02/2013 05:24:25
Posted by Adrian on 31/01/2013 16:43:09:

Beautiful stamp, that goshawk stamp. Vera will like that one! The US really do some mean bird stamps!

You are right, I like it very much, I like the whole set of 5 , as it includes a golden eagle . These stamps are 85c value meant for local post. Rates have just increased in the US to $1.10.

here's the Golden Eagle on a cover I received the other day

http://www.stampmagazine.co.uk/sites/12/images/member_albums/115921/thumbs/405173.jpg

Edited By Vera on 01/02/2013 05:24:55

Edited By Vera on 01/02/2013 05:26:36

Edited By Julia Lee on 01/02/2013 08:52:32

01/02/2013 05:10:40

"Sneak preview of Italian East Africa article", thanks for that, good to see such a powerfull stamp in the centre. Although the SG Bird catalog lists this stamp as an Imperial eagle, all other catalogs name it as Adrian did, Italian Eagle, a symbolic bird . Surprisingly, the true Imperial eagle , Aquila heliaca , is not found on many stamps.

01/02/2013 04:53:53
Posted by Julia Lee on 28/01/2013 09:50:24:

Vera, I just added the link. Use the globe and chain logo when posting to be able insert a link.

Certainly looks like it, doesn't it? Which is kind of cool.

I think the poses are too much alike. Do you consider there is there any sort of copyright infringement ?

01/02/2013 04:42:06
Posted by Alex on 31/01/2013 17:03:39:

Here are some more American love birds on piece.

APO Bluebirds

The postmark is an APO AE (Army in Europe) one with the APO address 09165. This was the APO in Hanau, Germany, where I spend some of my childhood.

Nice clear postmark from an unusual destination. If they were real birds and not symbolic would be perfect for my google map **LINK**

Thread: What do you collect?
26/01/2013 16:30:37

Hi Andrew, thanks very much, I'm enjoyingthe forum immensely as I feel very much at home surrounded by bird stamp collectors.

Your irish bird cover is interesting as I hadn't seen those four together stamps together before. The information leaflet is always good to have in case you want to write something about the stamps. I always admire pictorial postmarks with birds....especially raptors.

@ SOM....hey there to you too. Who else is here whom I've known for years and years ??? surprise

26/01/2013 13:55:21

The latest puffin stamps from the USA are quite appealing. Maybe the artist of that stamp, Robert Giusti, got his inspriation from John James Audubons' well known painting of the same birds http://en.wahooart.com/A55A04/w.nsf/Opra/BRUE-8CEG7D

Edited By Julia Lee on 28/01/2013 09:48:51

21/01/2013 12:09:35

Postal meter advertising for the Pheasant Inn , Cumbria. I wonder what they have on the menu ?

pheasant inn.meter.jpg

21/01/2013 12:04:42

I've never seen a ring -necked pheasant in the wild. I did read somewhere that this is the most hunted bird in the world and there are many breeding farms to produce hunting stock.

romania.shootingpheasant.jpg

Thread: Covers with 12-12-12 postmarks
19/01/2013 18:51:01

You get an extra number in the CDS from Taiwansmiley

12-12-12.douglastaiwan.jpg

19/01/2013 18:49:05

I sent out 50 special tri-date covers to my stamp friends around the world and many beauties have arrived back.

The placement of the birds stamps on this cover from France is very attractive and using a set of stamps from 1960 was a surprise. Seems the age of the stamps didnt matter

12.12.12.france.jpg

19/01/2013 18:35:58

here are the three latest woodpecker stamps, 60 sen Banded Woodpecker (Picus miniaceus),80 sen Common Flameback or Common Goldenback (Dinopium javanense) and RM1 Lesser Yellownape (Picus chlorolophus).

woodpecker-malaysia-400x182.jpg

Thread: Anyone care to start a stamp exchange chain?
19/01/2013 11:36:15

Carmen wrote....."Not in this group anyway... am in one in the other," just wondering where the other one is.

Edited By Vera on 19/01/2013 11:37:13

Thread: Abu Dhabi
18/01/2013 18:11:56

In reference to the falconry stamps on the previous page....

Falconry on stamps is a difficult topic to find. It was my original chosen topic for thematic exhibiting but as I couldnt find enough material I extended my theme to hunting in general and falconry just a small part of that. These Abu Dhabi stamps are great addition to any collection. I am actually in the Emirates at the moment and will try to visit the Emirates Philatelic Society HG again ( was there two years ago). Will for sure be going to the Deira Post Office where they have a good Philatelic department with many back issues.

Edited By Vera on 18/01/2013 18:16:55

18/01/2013 17:58:45

Forgot to mention, I'm currently living in Malaysia. There was a new issue of woodpecker stamps a few days ago. 3v set + m/s showing 4 species of woodpeckers. I can swap sets if anyone is interested.

Adrian , here in Malaysia swifts and swallows are always seen flying around and as I live on the 9th floor I observe them at close range. Using binoculars I'm surprised how high they fly and seem to disappear into the clouds.

18/01/2013 17:38:24
Hello Carmen,nice to meet you.... twisted humor is always good for a laugh..could be a good thematic topic for stamps smiley
17/01/2013 17:33:47

Thank you Adrian for all the info on those Netherland bird stamps.

What a great idea for bird enthusiasts to be able to personlize a stamps with their favorite bird. I'd probably choose a raptor...would your choice be the nuthutch?

.Do you know the value of these particular stamps ? The cover here was sent from to Australia.

I'm really not up-to-date with all the latest issues and to learn that an audio pen can produce the bird calls of the stamps....amazing. I luv modern technology as there's no end to fantastic innovations such as these. There is now an app for smart phones with all the north American birds on it with their calls. Wont belong before there's one for all world birds.

17/01/2013 09:24:22

I have just joined this site and am delighted to find a dedicated forum for birds on stamps.I am looking for information on these Netherlands bird stamps..I see more than 40 different ones have been produced and on the Delcampe site I saw one sale of them listed as a private issue. It was also thought they might be charity seals.

Netherlands. Private Issue?

17/01/2013 09:17:12

A special hello to Julia and everyone , I have just joined this site and look forward to sharing some of my birds on stamps with you all. I am a true thematic collector so I look out for all types of phllatelic items to do with avain fauna. I prefer birds on stamps in their correct country , not, for example, a scarlet macaw on a Polish stamp. I created a thematic exhibit on the hunting of wild animals with the title of "CatchThem If You Can". Currently my interest is in the Imperial eagle on Russian/Polish/german stamps/ stationary and its relation to the actual bird. My favorite sideline is my blog of "Traveling Birds" which I have linked to a google map of the same name. Maybe later on some of you can upload stamps/covers here which I can add to the map.http://g.co/maps/tpjra.

cheers Vera

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
STAMPS OF THE BRITISH ARABIA 2
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Nordfrim April
SANDAFAYRE
Glasgow Stamp Shop
varisell stamps
Michael G Read
Purves Philatelics
Tony Lester
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values